Private Accommodation in Swansea

Private Renting

We have updated the information relating to renting privately.  You can view the new information here.

There is a good supply of privately rented accommodation in Swansea and properties are available in most areas. Renting privately offers:

  • Choice - a range of accommodation exists with flats and apartments being more readily available in some areas and houses in others
  • Flexibility - you choose the areas you want to consider
  • Speed - properties are available now
  • Furnished and non-furnished properties are available

But I don't want to rent privately

You may not have much choice. 

Most of the people who apply to the social landlords will not get housed. (Click here to get an indication on the level of supply and demand across the city with the social landlords).

For many, finding a property in the private sector may be the only chance of getting a suitable home in the foreseeable future. 

In many circumstances it can be a better option as you may be able to rent properties with furniture, as well as in areas where little or no social housing currently exists. 

Where can I find affordable rented housing?

You can use the private rented search tool to find properties advertised by private landlords through this website.  Click here to look for empty properties available to let now. 

Some landlords will let to individuals and families on DSS, however many properties will be over the maximum amounts you can claim under Local Housing Allowance particularly if you are single and under 35 years old. Click the links on the right to find landlords and agents who are willing to let to households in receipt of benefits. 

You should also check the links to other letting agencies found within this website, but make sure you can afford the property before you agree to take the tenancy or sign any agreements. 

If you have any concerns, or are unsure about the terms of your tenancy agreement your should seek advice before sigining it. 

Can I afford it?

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Local Housing Allowance (you can download the application form here) to help you pay the rent.  If you cannot print the form off at home, you can ask for an application form to be sent to your home (applications cannot currently be made online).

You can use the Council's Housing Benefit Calculator to get an instant benefit estimate or contact the Council's Benefit Take Up Team.

Remember that you will also have to pay other bills such as gas, electricity and water - use the budget calculator or budget planner to help make sure that you can cover these costs.

If this is your first place, living on your own can be very expensive, especially if you aren't working.  You may find it more cost effective to share a property with one, (or more) friends.  You should seek advice on your rights and obligations in the tenancy if you, or someone you are sharing with decides to leave.  You may have to continue paying rent after you've left, or pay someone else's rent if they have left (depending on what sort of tenancy agreement you have with your landlord). You could also look for spare rooms in houses but you may not know the people you will be sharing with, so make sure you fully understand what will be expected of you and what you will get in return for your rent.

Will Housing Benefit fully cover the rent?

The maximum amount of Housing Benefit that can be paid depends on the size of the property that your household needs and is set by Local Housing Allowance rates.

Please note that you may not receive the maximum amount as your household income and savings will be taken into account to assess your Housing Benefit claim.  If you have been overpaid benefit in the past, you may also have a reduction in your current benefit until that debt is paid.  You will have to make up the difference yourself.

If you have dependent children who do not live with you all the time (for example shared custody and access arrangements) you should contact Housing Benefit or Housing Options to check which bedroom rate will be paid. 

You should also remember, that if you are under 35 and live alone, you will probably only qualify for the shared accommodation or bedsit rate (even if your rent is higher). 

Important imformation about bonds or deposits.

If you cannot afford to pay a bond or deposit for your private property, the Swansea Bond Board may be able to help.  If you qualify, they will guarantee the value of the bond with the landlord.  Bonds are normally restricted to 2 years after which you will be expected to either replace the bond with your own money or in some circumstances, continue as a tenant without a bond.  This service may be restricted to people living in Swansea or have some other connection with the area. 

You will be encouraged to join the savings scheme with LASA (Swansea Credit Union) to help cover the cost of this.  

If you are a 'priority need' household looking for housing, you may need to be referred by Housing Options first. 

If you can't get help from the Swansea Bond Board, but are in receipt of qualifying benefits, you can apply for a Discretionary Assistance Payment for help with some of the costs associated with moving and setting up a new home. You may be offered cash or payment in kind such as the provision of goods or services direct.   Please contact 0800 859 5924 for further information (free from landlines)  An alternative local rate number is available for mobile phones 033 0101 5000. You may also be able to apply for help with a bond through a Discretionary Housing Payment

Remember: If you pay a cash bond to a landlord they must protect it under one of the Government's authorised tenancy deposit schemes and tell you within 30 days of receiving it, which scheme they have used, otherwise they will have to return the bond to you, they may lose the right to ask you to leave, and may have to pay you compensation.

There have been recent court cases which also mean that if your tenancy was changed or renewed after April 2007 the same rules apply for telling you about the bond, even if it was already with an approved scheme before renewal or change in the tenancy. 

If you have any dispute with your landlord always seek advice.

How long will I be able to stay?

As long as you have made sure the rent is paid on time and have looked after the property, most landlords are happy to let you stay for as long as you want. 

You tenancy is likely to be an 'assured shorthold' for 6 or 12 months, however most are renewed for a further fixed term or continue on a rolling monthly basis.  However your landlord must provide you with the details of the bond protection each time the tenancy is renewed or changes to an open ended periodic tenancy. 

In a minority of cases, landlords may ask you to leave the property before you have somewhere else to go.  As always, contact an advice agency if you need help.

What about furniture?

Enfys Foundation, Res-a-Rec, More Green and SWAT may be able to assist with your furniture needs.

Alternatively, you may want to find out whether you are eligible for a Discretionary Assistance Payment or Budgeting Loan to help with the costs of furniture/household equipment or other costs associated with the move.

How can I find a property?

Use the Available Properties link to find details of properties owned by landlords who accept Housing Benefit. These are managed by individual landlords or letting agents.

The Landlord Accreditation Wales website provides details of landlords who are accredited and should therefore provide well managed accommodation.

Many lettings agencies will list their available properties online through Zoopla or Rent Right and other similar websites.  You can still leave your details with an agent incase a suitable home becomes available in the coming weeks.

Can a Letting Agent ask me for money to register my details with them?


Under the Accommodation Agencies Act 1953 a letting agent can only make a charge for services if you actually get somewhere to live from them.  If you have been asked for money to register your details or to recieve a list of possible private properties then the agent is breaking the law.

You can speak to a housing adviser about this if you need help with a letting agent demanding money from you if it is not related to you accepting a new home. 

What is the average rent price for a property in Swansea?

It is extremely difficult to identify the average price for a rented property in Swansea as a number of factors such as location and the type and condition of the property determine how much rent a landlord expects each month. 

Landlords may be willing to negotiate on their rent levels if you can demonstrate that you will be a good tenant who will look after their property and can move quickly. 

If you are in receipt of benefits, there are fixed maximum amounts you can claim to cover the cost of renting your home.  This is called Local Housing Allowance, the rates are reviewed every April.  . 

Click here for the current Local Housing Allowance rates in Swansea.