Council Housing in Swansea

Council Housing in Swansea

Council housing in Swansea

Swansea Council currently owns and manages approximately 13,000 homes across the city.

Anyone aged 16 or over can apply but you should consider the following:

  • Where you want to live - are there Council or Housing Association properties in that area?
  • How long will you have to wait?
  • Would renting privately suit you better?
  • What are the differences between Council and Housing Association tenancies?

Please click here to see a list of the properties available with little or no waiting list on a 'First come, First served' basis.

As a council tenant you will have an 'Introductory Tenancy' or a long term 'secure tenancy' depending on your circumstances.   

You are responsble for the tenancy including, making sure the rent is paid (even if you are on Housing Benefit).  You are also responsible for the behaviour of any visitors or other residents living with you.  If you do not look after your tenancy, you could lose your home and may find it difficult to get a future property from the council or a housing association. 

Did you know?

There are over 6000 people on the Council Housing List at any time, but only  about 1000 properties become available each year?  

Even if you are homeless there is no guarantee you will get a council property.  We may need to look at other options such as keeping you in your current home, moving into a housing association or moving into a private home.

I haven't applied yet - what are my options?

 The waiting time calculator should give you an idea of the availability of properties in different areas of the city and how many applicants are waiting for those areas.

You can also look for available private rented sector properties which may be more suitable for you depending on where you want to live.

If you are interested, you can find out more about buying a property under one of the many schemes designed to assist potential buyers into home ownership.

How do I apply for Council Housing?

Before applying you should use the waiting time calculator to decide if it is likely that you will get the size and type of property you need in the area you would like. 

If you want to live in an area where there is little or no council housing, or where the number of available properties is very low you should either consider other areas of Swansea or look at another housing provider such as a housing association.

If you think you will be able to get the housing you need within an acceptable period of time, you should contact Housing Options on 01792 533100 to register your details, or request a call back here.  A Housing Options adviser will phone you back to complete a full assessment of your needs and housing requirements.  They will normally do this within 2-3 weeks, however if you will be homeless shortly then they will call you back as soon as possible.

You may be asked for further information in support of your application and this should be sent as soon as possible, otherwise your situation may not be assessed accurately. 

I have applied - how long will I have to wait?

It is difficult to say.  People are often surprised at how long the waiting list is.

The waiting time calculators provide details of:

  • Where the social landlords such as the Council have properties
  • The number of lettings made in the various areas of the city
  • The number of applicants waiting to be housed  

    You should use this information to decide if you need to make alternative plans for your housing. 

    Please be aware the calculators are intended to be a guide only to the supply and demand of social housing.  We cannot give any specific timescales of when you are likely to be made an offer of housing. 

    What if I need an adapted property?

    If you need a home suitable for wheelchair use or special adaptations, you application will be referred to the ADAPT scheme.  ADAPT is a partnership project between the Council and the local housing associations.  The scheme makes sure properties that are wheelchair accessible or adapted for disabilities are allocated to those most in need of those particular properties. 

    You should also consider whether your home could be made more suitable if it can be adapted using Council grants to help pay for any adaptation work.  Click here for more details on Disabled Facilities Grants.

    I am a Council or Housing Association tenant and want to transfer

    You can apply for an exchange or transfer by contacting your housing officer, however it is wise to check the Waiting Time Calculators first to see how likely you are to get what you want. 

    How quickly you can move will depend on the reasons why you need to move.  If you need to find somewhere else to live urgently, you may need to see a caseworker from Housing Options to make sure you do not become homeless whilst you are looking for your new home. 

    Homeswapper is a national website which can also be used to find a suitable exchange either in Swansea or elsewhere.

    Alternatively, to apply directly to a Housing Association in Swansea if they have properties that may be suitable for you.  

    If you are considering leaving the Council to move into the private sector it is wise to get advice on this from your housing officer or Housing Options before giving up your tenancy.